Sunday, July 27, 2008

LOVE is a verb.


Ok, I know what you're thinking, "Here comes another first blog update"... but just resist that doubt, cause this is worth the read... I mean, I gotta get y'all caught up on my life! 


In May, I joined a team of 10 other Lipscomb students for a "Cultural Perspective" trip.  We journeyed to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation to teach kids in a K-8 school. The Oglala Sioux tribe resides in the depths of the Badlands on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, which is located in the southwestern part of South Dakota.  As a "white man", I could not have imagined
 the type of oppression our ancestors placed upon these people, until now.  I was embarrassed to claim my white ancestry and stood proud knowing I am part Cherokee Indian.  However, through the lens of the Lakota Indians, we were condescending, oppressive Tennessee kids.  In order to fully empathize with the Lakota Indian Nation and learn about various cultural differences, our team needed to become selfless.  We needed to put down our own lenses and strive for the true unity God created for man.   Throughout the two weeks, the team had to trust that God was going to place each of us in unique and meaningful situations that would open doors for discovery. I know God has a greater plan for the Native American tribes.  Although their land is barren, He is the God of their reservation and their people.  I will continue to pray for the Lakota Nation and give God all the glory for allowing Lipscomb students such a powerful and life-changing opportunity. 
Mrs. Blacksmith's 4th Grade Class! 

The day I got home from South Dakota, I immediately embarked on my true purpose for the summer.  I packed up what I needed and before you know it, I was headed "65 down to Birmingham"[Dave Barnes' "Jackson"]. I was hired as a Summer Youth Ministry Intern for the Homewood Church of Christ.  From the very beginning of this job, I have prayed daily that God would live in me.  I could spend this whole article writing about the amazing way God has let this opportunity, this ministry, and this love impact me.

LOVE: Fortress Mission Trip 2008
Inner City Fort Worth, TX

 But, it's not about me (insert cheesy pun to a past Rural Hill Church Camp theme!)I give God all the glory for the stirring He has placed in my kids at Homewood.  He has allowed them to grow more than I could have ever imagined.  Now, my daily prayers are spent thanking God for showing me how powerful He can be when you seek Him wholeheartedly.  God has proven that HIS kingdom is now…. And this generation coming up can be a vibrant light for the kingdom.  

"LOVE is a verb,
it's something you do. 
GOD loves me. 
and I love you."
 I cannot thank everyone enough for the continual love and support….It consistently brings me joy! I hope I will be diligent about blogging... I move back into Lipscomb Life in 2 weeks. hold tight, my life will get even crazier! 

"Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, 
to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think." - Ephesians 3:20

Post a Comment

1 comments:

Lanie said...

Great post! You are going to be a great blogger!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...