Well, as you are reading this blog, I am back in Tennessee. Today, I made my drive back to my family, my home.... away from my loves, my families, my 2nd home. Don't get me wrong, I love my TN life, but I will forever thank God for my summer in Birmingham.
So, I am using this blog not only to update friends and family about my summer... but also to encourage my AL friends and family to continue being a part of my life too!
Libby's Favorites:
Alabama Style
(I have asked permission to use this "blog technique" from Mrs. Jamie Grizzle. Thank you for the inspiration, Jamie!)
* DISCLAIMER:These are in no particular order
1. Watermelon- I am surprised I have not turned into one this summer.
I have averaged 1.5 per week (that has got to be some kind of a record). I love how my kids made sure there was some at my "See you later party!" It was delicious!
2. Pepper Place Saturday Market- From May til October, the Pepper Place Saturday Market is held at an old Dr. Pepper bottling factory. It's the best way to experience Birmingham's farm-fresh vegetables, organic produce, fresh flowers, baked goods, creative artwork, etc. I love supporting local farmers and artists-- and this place is full of life. It was so encouraging to talk to the fellow Alabama-ians and hear their

stories and inspirations behind their unique products. I hope I get to go back soon! It was such a glorious day, spending time with the Taylors and the Castlemans and supporting hometown-ers... all things I will cherish.
(NEWS FLASH: The E in Chuck E. Cheese stands for EXCITING, who knew!)












no worries. (Thank you, sunshine! )





Yes,it is still a favorite and.... I am 20. But don't deny it, it brings 0ut the kid in anyone! At first, the Homewood kids were hesitant to follow the new intern to a "seemingly kid only zone" but they had SO much fun!
4. Dart Game
This game is not a Homewood original, however, we made it legendary. It is a simple game that doesn't necessarily have a beginning and end. I just tried to type out is purpose and rules... but it got confusing. Just know, that a simple game like this... could've possibly brought a whole youth group closer. I love it.
5. The Basement
Every Tuesday night, right outside of Birmingham, about 4000-5000 people (students, adults, etc) come together for an incredible night of worship. The way God is using this ministry in the lives of THOUSANDS and in the city of Birmingham is powerful kingdom work! I love that we couldn't wait for Tuesdays! Check it out: The Basement Birmingham, AL.
6. Charades
I never realized how funny this game could be! It will forever be a favorite memory! Some of the funniest- having a baby (Bless you Jackson), Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, Infected ______ (anything), John DeRosa, Charzard, Me, and many more.
7. Youth Ministry = Gluttony
No matter how much I tried to avoid it, I loved some food this summer. On preparing this favorites list, I counted at least 5 things being food-related. So, in order to continue my semi-healthy lifestyle, I am compiling all of them into one category. ( I am sure there is more... but i am going to go do some crunches)
- Jim n Nick's is SO delicious. The BBQ Turkey Salad and those sweet, yummy rolls... perfection.
- Cherry Diet Coke, Yum.
- 2 lb. bag of Sour Patch Kids, duh.
- SNOW CONES! It is a childhood tradition for the Barker family.
So, when I found one in B'ham, I was golden.
- SONIC I know what you are thinking... Sonic, really. In TN there is a plethora, however, Alabama does not know how much I needed a Sonic fix. (Erin Walton+Corn dog= Time of my life) (Below: The first day I was back in TN, my kids sent me a picture of them at SONIC... it brought tears, have i told you how much i love them?)

8. Prayer
At Homewood this summer, we have practiced the concept of P.U.S.H

(Praying Until Something Happens). The very first week I was at Homewood, a student was being baptized and the whole youth group came forward and surrounded him. And With much encouragement, the youth minister announced my last Sunday. The entire youth group came and surrounded me in prayer and it will forever a cherished memory. (photo compliments of Justin Dorris.... can't thank you enough!)
9. Text Messaging
I am usually the brunt of the jokes because I am a "text-er" ( I have been called the "Fastest Fingers in the Southeast"). I will admit I do not like voice mails and sometimes phone calls. But I gotta defend myself, text and picture messages can be an incredible and encouraging tool in being a vessel for God! This generation is glued to their phones- why not use it to glorify our God? [Here's some examples: 1. Send a text telling someone you prayed for them today 2. Text an encouraging verse 3. Just tell someone you miss them... or love them] I have SO many texts locked because I love to go back and read them! Try being that for someone else! Love-text somebody today!
10. "God lives in us" - 1 John 4:12
This could be a number 1 favorite of the summer. I finally understood what youth ministry is all about. It was the purest and the most joyous sight to see the youth letting God live and speak through them, without me "forcing" or placing them in those situations. When they truly let the spirit of God lead their decisions, their emotions, their words... it was beautiful.
Wanna see? Check out our drama trip to Nashville on YouTube.
I know it is it terrible camera work, but I hope you can bear it because these students put SO much of theirs hearts in it. These are common struggles and tragedies affecting the youth today, but God can make them beautiful.
11. Nalgene
I never realized how much I use my nalgene...
until it was tragically taken away. My boys argued that it was "indestructible" and we quickly found out the contrary. So basically I was parched for a few weeks of the summer...but the newest member to the Libby family ,THE Green Giant, is encouraging hydration
no worries. (Thank you, sunshine! )12. Music
Whether it's Dave Barnes, Jesse McCartney, Hillsongs, Canton Jones, David Crowder, Usher, Matt Wertz.... It is a beautiful thing, so many memories are carried with music. It's true "I Go Back" to those times with one song. I love it.
"I think about you in the summertime, and all the good times we had baby"
Thank you, New Kids on the Block
13. My family
I couldn't have asked for a more supportive
and encouraging family. I appreciate them letting me live out my dreams... even when they are crazy. I can't thank you enough for striving live a Godly life day to day, our family solely lives to glorify the King.
14. Encouragement
God is truly the god of encouragement- My Birmingham families and loves sent me home with so many meaningful notes, words of encouragement, thoughtful gifts (cough cough, mini Taylor) that will encourage me for months to come! (Even when I am missing B'ham) I have already re-read so many of them, Thank you so much! I will continue to thank God for each and everyone one of you. I love you.
I am about to hop right back into Lipscomb world. Honestly, I am not ready or excited ( I will get there). It kinda feels like culture shock-- I just thank God everyday for allowing me the opportunity to have one of the greatest summers of my life.
"i'm leavin" with love- Lib.
"Whatever You're doing inside of me,It feels like chaos but I believe,You're up to something bigger than me but I'm giving in to something Heavenly"-Sanctus Real
Post a Comment