I was NOT dreaming of a White Christmas... it really was real life!
We didnt even have to sleep with our underwear inside out! Mom always laughed cause we thought that was the secret ingredient to a no-school snow day! How beautiful is my parent's home in the snow? It definitely snowed more and more throughout the day... almost 4-5 inches!
Now, we Barker kids are grown... but we still embrace our inner child, usually when we are all together. But I couldnt keep from imagining how fun it was for the kids in TN to wake up Christmas morning to see sparkly white stuff!speaking of young ones... Baby "Jeffrey" will rock our family circle oh so soon ... and its gonna be awesome! I love that in the middle of our holiday season this year, I keep getting sidetracked thinking that everything is gonna be so beautifully different next Christmas. Its like the start of the next era of Barker/Walters/Enlow life! Ok, Ill stop with all the dreamy dreamy Aunt stuff... Ill save that til January when I get to find out the gender!! my bet? a boy.
anneeeyways...
Here in the Barker household... we love that we lack anything that is "traditional" Christmas! You saw our Christmas Eve Party... I mean, how many people that you know do that? Oh and the whole huge tree with tons of color-coordinating ornaments, glittery ribbon and sparkly stuff? yeah, this year we loved our little pre-light Montana-esque pine tree! (see photo to the left) Now, do not get my wrong, Mom makes the most amazing Christmas trees ever. She probably would've loved to decorate one! But in the hussle and bussle of the holiday season, I love that mom ( or any family) didnt stress about the stereotypical Christmas stuff... we embraced being together! That was the best part of our Christmas, by far. It might seem strange to you... but we love our quirks! It keeps us young and spontaneous! Try it sometime.
Highlights of our Christmas morning: Momo joining us and being adorably thankful about her presents! Wade: so excited about his Reba calendar and PS3! And even NCAA 2010 w/ Tebow on the cover Who got him that? hmmm? ;) Lanie & Bret: getting each other a new pillow, unknowingly! haha. B gave Lanie these sweet little bootie socks for their baby paired with an adorable note celebrating their soon to be life as parents! Mom gave the cutest LesSportSac matching bags! We love those! Mom : a rooster for her kitchen! a 2011 Family Shutterfly calendar made by yours truly Dad: a sign saying "Grandkids welcome. Parents by appointment" hilarious! and the Rick and Bubba CD Me: Lanie got me some ReeTone shoes and velvet hangers! She gets me. I couldnt have been more excited about those gifts. thank you, thank you. (funny story: Bret saw Lanie purchasing velvet hangers and he said, "Lanie, WHO in the world are you giving those to?" he was shocked! haha.
Since we no longer have young ones in our family, we dont wake up to see if Santa came as early as we used to! Wade can sleep in like the rest of us now! So, our Christmas "morning" present time was soon Christmas afternoon. We had to get ready for our extended family driving in to enjoy a meal together!
The Enlow/Bowman/Walters/Barker clan all accounted for, Just missing the Mackey crew! Rachel and Jason, we cannot wait to hear all about your PA Christmas... and the New York Trip! I hope you took some photos! love you both so much!
Mom had the GREAT idea of serving Christmas lunch in the barn that my Dad & company built on the edge of our woods. The Barker homested is very warm & cozy and it is perfect for us! But it cant perfectly fit 20+ people all in one room... around a table.
So, with some kerosene heaters, tables, tablecloths and tons of food... and it was the perfect venue! We all got to sit in the same big room, doesnt get to happen often.
Im telling you, my mother is an innovator. Hopefully I got at least 5% of that attribute. That would be priceless.
My roommate Ashley is from Bethlehem, PA, aka the Christmas capital of the world! and she had to spend the holidays here in the Country Music City Capital...pssht lame! She is a super nurse at Vanderbilt and had to work on Christmas day night... I was thankful she came out to my parents for lunch! It was so special. My family loved it... they hated to see her go off to work.
-- [sidenote: Sometimes, even in seasons of expected JOY, some sadness hits. I wont go too far into this but a couple days before Christmas, our 14 year old German Short-haired Pointer, Quik, passed away. God has a way of taking care of old dogs... he was a loyal hunter for Dad and Wade, a leader for our new puppy, Hoover and a great dog! We got him when Wade was little and absolutely obsessed with homemade chocolate milk! When we were deciding on a name, the dog's color was strangely close to the look of Nestle's Quik lightly stirred into white milk! too funny! Quik was a good dog and he lived a great life. But... thats the way it goes, I guess. Dad says that just part of having a dog. uh. But, Hoover, our Llewellin Setter, even made it in some family photos this year! He is just 1 yr old so he was about to exploded for sitting still for 5 seconds... he's still got that puppy hyperness. Its highly entertaining because he runs like a baby deer! its like a hop almost. Wade and him are starting to be best friends... its cute.]--
how in the world did I get THAT sidetracked? well, there goes my ADD... but lets talk about more important things...the BABY. Wade is the funniest when it comes to this sister pregnancy thing. Whenever he sees Lanie, he just kinda chuckles. He thinks its so comical there is a little person growing inside her! Me on the other hand? cant stop squealing still. I warned you I would be ecstatic.
In conclusion, chalk up another unforgettable Christmas in the books! It was full of tons of fun and love... and those are our favorite kind of traditions! Who knows what next year will be like? all I know is we will be plus 1... im already anxious!
We are undeservingly blessed. I pray to spend the next year thanking God for the grace and blessings he pours over us, our loved ones and our communities!
We are undeservingly blessed. I pray to spend the next year thanking God for the grace and blessings he pours over us, our loved ones and our communities!
"Every good and perfect gift is [TRULY] from above..."








Post a Comment