Monday, February 27, 2012

Wide Open Spaces

On a night like tonight... iHeart radio and dinner at home is right up my alley. Thanks to random song selection... This came up... and hit home! Who remembers this? I bet I would've still been listening to Dixie Chicks today... too bad.  

This song was different today than usual. Maybe 'cause the last time I heard it, I couldn't imagine any "wide open spaces" outside of Williamson County, TN.  Here I am, 10 years later... and it takes on a whole new meaning. 

 Wide Open Spaces
Who doesn't know what I'm talking about?
Who's never left home, who's never struck out?
To find a dream and a life of their own
A place in the clouds, a foundation of stone

Many precede and many will, follow
A young girl's dreams no longer hollow
It takes the shape of a place out west
But what it holds for her, she hasn't yet guessed

She needs wide open spaces
Room to make her big mistakes
She needs, new faces
She knows the highest stakes

She traveled this road as a child
Wide-eyed and grinning, she never tired
But now she won't be coming back with the rest
If these are life's lessons, she'll take this test

She needs wide open spaces
Room to make her big mistakes
She needs, new faces
She knows the highest stakes

As her folks drive away, her dad yells, "Check the Oil"
Her mom stares out the window and says, "I'm a leavin' my girl"
She says, "It didn't seem like that long ago"
When she stood there and let her own folks know

She needed wide open spaces
Room to make her big mistakes
She needs new faces
She knows the highest stakes
____________________________________

Seems like the wide open spaces in my life continue to bring inevitable newness and unfamiliarity... but I need them and I know the risks! 

As your study of God’s Word takes you into different part of Scripture – “God spoke … through the prophets at many times and in various places”, make sure that your main focus of attention is always on Jesus – in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son.” •  Hebrews 1:1-2

Post a Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...