Tuesday, August 31, 2010

back to school.

No matter how old you are, never fails... the first day of school is the same! Getting lost, oblivious to the ways, belly full of butterflies and giddy excited about every little thing... might as well tape a sign on my back that says IM NEW!!
This time, it's a graduate program at Tennessee State University studying Speech & Language Pathology (SLP). I bet you're thinking, WHAT? You have a completely unrelated Marketing degree!? Thats true but this is a career I find so interesting! It seems kinda crazy when I see friends getting full-time $$$$$ jobs w/ benefits... and here I am a freshman all over again! But I really feel this could be it so here goes nothing!
For the first time, I sat in class FULLY engaged, as if I couldnt learn enough. Who knew you could be anxious to be in class? such a foreign concept! It is affirming that this is what im supposed to be doing... The professors are so intelligent and encouraging, theres about 15 in each class and our program is in the Avon-Williams downtown campus, NOT the main campus!
Yesterday, in my Human Communication Disorders course, we were asked to introduce ourselves and tell "our story". Why were we here and why we wanted to be a SLP? I got chills as we went around the room.
You'll know why once you hear some of the stories...
  • "One of my family members had a stroke. Afterwards, she had private SLP therapy and I loved how much the SLP was able to help the quality of life and personality of my family member. I want to do that for so many others"
  • "I bounced around some many different majors in college but still couldnt find the one that fit ME and my talents. I was working as a journalist, writing freelance articles for a small town newspaper. One day, an article on social services came to my desk, started researching and Speech Pathology jumped out. I was hooked and.. ummm here I am"
  • I have a 2yr old daughter and everyone around her talks 100mph. She cant get a word in...now she doesnt talk a lot or put full sentences together. I cant afford the services so I would like this to be my career so I can be the change (wow!)
  • I want to be a SLP because I can better my language and help others do the same. I am from Haiti.
God, thank you so much for placing this beautiful opportunity! Im sorry that I seem to doubt your perfect timing in my life... every time! man, You'd think Id learn.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer. 29:11

Post a Comment

1 comments:

Jeff said...

Go girl! I am so proud of you & the choices you are making. Letting God lead you is awesome to watch! We miss you!
Daddy JT

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...