Tuesday, June 29, 2010

the 'other' house that built me.

As I woke early this morning, walked around my tacky suburban neighborhood, then got in a truck that was once my Pa-pa's and embarked on a new day... I got to thinking.
There isn't just one "house that built me"
"I thought if I could touch this place or feel it... this brokenness inside me might start healing. Out here its like i'm someone else,I thought that maybe I could find myself."

My Kentucky Home: peaceful. sunflowers. the definition of comforting. dirty. playful. roast+potatoes+carrots. timeless. healing. priceless in value. logging. everything but girly. pranks on my Pa-pa. blackberries. sitting on the bank of a pond hoping to catch the big one (that Pa-pa would get off the line for you). frozen mugs. driving before you're old enough. milkshakes. country grapes.napping 10 times a day. "gotta go". blowing up my muscle. trucks. living off the land. cupcakes. "playing" on heavy machinery. cheese+crackers before bedtime. simple. watermelons. dominos. having NO schedule for the whole day. our retreat.

I think I can speak for all of us, this year hasnt been the easiest. Never did we plan for our Pa-pa to "go home" this year, but he went home happy! Because of his stable legacy, unmatchable strength and unconditional love for us, this place will never change. It will always be the place I retreat to... The moment a free weekend/week comes around, it is where my family wants to be. hands down.
You can ask anyone who is "lucky enough" to get the KY invite... it will change your life like you dont even know. You will wish you never had to leave. I thank God for the peace and comfort he has poured over our family. We never could have done this alone...

there are days when I know my Pa-pa is just loving this... Like the day I hand sowed a sunflower field that my baby brother Wade had plowed (see photos below), my Mo-mo and Mom telling stories of the working sawmill or when my sister Lanie got to spend a couple days in KY just like she used to... and many many more to come.
"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Phil 4:6-7

Post a Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...