Monday, February 28, 2011

find that bird


Friday, I got a text from baby brother .. you know, the one I am obsessed with? yeah. Dad and Him were going hunting all day Saturday... so he asked if would I want to join as a photographer!!!

Here was my thought process: 
1) the day is supposed to be absolutely gorgeous 
2) lets just be honest, I could use the exercise
3) time with brother and Dad.... why not?!

I waited for Kyle to get off work cause I wanted him to tag along too! When the hunters got back toward Franklin, we were off! woohoo.

Now, you might be thinking a hunting expedition photo shoot? really Libby... why do you put these rugged men up to it? Well... you see... I got this! I got this! 
I just know them enough to know that years down the road, photos like these will be priceless. Can you imagine having NO photographs of something you invest that much time? And something that you have enjoyed your whole life? SEE! It isnt that crazy!
Just realized... you need some background info... 
My Dad is a quail hunter. He grew up training dogs, planning trips with his Grandfather and soaking up all there was.  As for my whole life, its all Ive known! Its what we  HE does! so, just as in natural family fashion, the passion has been passed down the line. Wade is a great hunter and he enjoys the sport as well. Im so glad it is something they get to do together.
Why Quail Hunting? good question... i can answer that!
1. We eat it, oh and boy do we! It is really good meat... I mean, good. White meat, not greasy... sooo good with biscuits & gravy! I will always cherish Sat. morning breakfast mornings with my family. (now, sometimes it was at Waffle House) But at home, we all sat around the table together eating so much delicious bfast food. Mom always gives us a variety to choose from. She is soo good. 
2. Its a challenge.  Every step of it is... Studying the habits of quail, to planting fescue in the off-season, training the bird dog, to walking miles and miles, to needing to be a skilled rifleman... It is more of a sport than some other types of hunting. 
3. Dad & Wade love working with the dog as a team... you know, our Hoover! He has proven to be an all-star this season. They are excited about years to come...  its fun!

 
well, it was only appropriate I caught this. Hoover runs miles and miles wide open... but man, he takes more pit stops than a woman!
Ok... back to recapping Saturday, Kyle and I tagged a few yards back and just enjoyed being there. It was cool to be a part of what they do... first hand.  Everything from waiting quietly (tough for me!) to crouching through brush...
 
(Dad crawls into anything. He said last week he was upside down in this brush pile... head first. Pretty impressive I might say)... and crossing this creek!
 
Might not look bad... but it was a swift little creek! And I had Jasper, my camera, aka "my first born"and I was NOT going to do my usual tom-boy bee bop across it... I needed to show extra care.... so I asked Kyle to carry me across. Ha! I had Wade on the other side waiting in case I needed to throw him the camera on my way down the creek. We made it. What great men I have got in my life. so thankful.

Let's Meet the Hunters! 
 There is my Dad, Rex Barker
 and his favorite hunting partner, Bobby Frost
last but NOT least in my book, Wade-ly. 
see, I told you I was obsessed. Look how handsome he is? Doesnt that photo just melt your heart... but... dont get any ideas. Any crushes have to go through me first, Ive been watching Law & Order SVU, I can interrogate with the best of them! 
 
um... well.. this is what happens when you bring Libby along on such scenic trips, my ADD kicks in... but but but... these were the first buttercups I had seen all year!! They were beautifully perfect! 
 do you blame me to stopping to shoot this?  that's slap in the face worthy.
This one is pretty crazy... I didnt have time to lay on my belly and focus my camera cause the crew was already waaay ahead of me. I dilly dally... its what I do. So, I just bent over with my camera on my feet and "blind shot" this. I wanted focus on the buttercups... but turns out, I dont hate it! I love the old barn in the shot the most!

 Kyle insisted NO photos of him... whoopsie. But he is just so handsome, Im afraid my camera gravitates toward him... so, totally not my fault right?
 If you are a Pioneer Woman fan, you can understand this shot. If you're not, this might be awkward.
See! She even blogged about it today... "A Monday List"
 
 What a beautiful afternoon! I loved getting to spend the day with these guys... Thanks for putting up with this shutter bug! Love you men.

Post a Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...