Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 4: The 'Rents

My Parents. My Leaders. My Biggest Fans...
There is not enough room on this here world wide web to describe my parents.  Rex & Gwen Barker are the two most incredible people I will ever know...ever.

 
My Mom: Solid as a rock. Here is a whole blog about how awesome she is.  I might be the cliche middle child and drive her bonkers some days... but she is each one of the kids best friend, teacher, encourager and biggest fan.  All of us Barker kids would not be who we are today without her guidance, love and excitement. Taught me to be super crafty...she says I have surpasses her ability, NOT TRUE. She always encourages my creativity. Most trustworthy,dependable woman in this world.. such an incredible mother. Wanna know how beautifully strong she is? She raised three children that each came with their own craziness.  Lanie=highly opinionated & particular, competed with Dad for head of household. Me=all things rebel. Im just surprised I didnt force her into a looney bin. We're still best friends though, crazy huh? Wade=miracle baby. 2 Open-heart surgeries before he was 1yr. She was faithful and encouraging throughout all of this. We thank you, Mom!
Meet Mrs. Incredible!

My Dad: only appropriate I quoted one of our favorite lines from the Cosby Show: "Dad is great! He feeds us chocolate cake!" Love you, Dad!    Rex Barker, my dad, is the Smartest Man in the World. Im serious, I cant even fathom his level of intelligence. We are basically on two totally different scales (but Lanie and him are on the same! haha) He is so stinkin' witty. Never ceases to make me laugh. Taught me to love music of all kinds. Pushes me outside my comfort zones cause he knows its best for me (even though, I am not really sure how dancing in the aisle of Waffle House improved my life but Dad told me to!) I earnestly seek his advice on things. He shoots me straight. Shared the love for Alabama football with all his kiddos. 

I trust my Dad more than anyone on this whole planet.  Need an example? maybe 2? alright.
1.I was standing on a 42ft cliff on Percy Priest, freaked out to jump off. Everyone was yelling from below all kinds of silly advice. It wasnt sinking in, not one bit.  Then, I heard my Dad. He had climbed up to get me through. He told me he would hold my hand and we would both jump off. I knew everything was going to be okay. I bet everyone else thought... good grief, how did that only take 2 secs? Thats the best thing about Dad. He has me.
2. Flight back from Honduras Mission Trip. The weeny 18yr old Me was terrified of rough plane rides. We were going through a storm. At some times, the seat belt was the only thing holding me in my seat. This is NOT a roller coaster people. From 2 rows up, my Dad did the "big snap" and said, "Libby, God didnt bring us here to kill us on an airplane. Quit crying"  ... you guessed it. I did. 


I love them more than words can even describe. I hope I never forget how immeasurably more they gave me, then I deserved. Thank you! 

Post a Comment

1 comments:

Lanie said...

Nice post on the greatest parents ever. So just one thing... "Lanie=highly opinionated & particular, competed with Dad for head of household."?? Seriously? PATicLAR, maybe... highly opinionated ?, I prefer to call strong-willed. Bret found this quote both humorous and frightening as we prepare to invite our own Little Lanie into our world. I know God has a great sense of humor and that's scary!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...