Lanie and I played basketball growing up... Now that I think about it, basketball more than half of our years so far! We wouldnt trade it for anything...
At Page High School, Coach Darrell Barnwell led Lanie's senior basketball team farther than ever imagined! They went 29-5 and almost made it to "MTSU". (**Im going to see if I can find some throw back photos to add... )After that season, Barnwell decided to move back "home" to Science Hill High School in Johnson City to coach their women's basketball team. Hey, its okay... I shed a few tears thinking I wouldnt get to play the next few years under his leadership... but thats life.
Life is also pretty cool when it comes back around full circle! I got a call from our assistant coach, Coach Brian King, from high school telling me Science Hill had made it to the State Tournament, Would I want to go watch? Absolutely! 1. Hadnt been around basketball in a long time... I needed some! 2. I get to see Barnwell in action!
Dad and I drove out to MTSU and enjoyed it so much. It was so good to spend time with him embracing & talking basketball like time had never passed. Except I was in the stands, conversing with all the adults around me saying "HOW CRAZY WAS THAT CALL?!" "Cheap, Cheap Cheap!" "Did you see that?" .... ok, I might be on the other side of the ball now.... but to be honest... it was still SO enjoyable!
(I cant wait for Sadie to be out on the court! Wonder if she will be a 5'3 Lightning bolt PG like her mom or a 6'2 Smooth Shooter "White Chocolate" like her Dad? ... its going to be fun to see! )
(I cant wait for Sadie to be out on the court! Wonder if she will be a 5'3 Lightning bolt PG like her mom or a 6'2 Smooth Shooter "White Chocolate" like her Dad? ... its going to be fun to see! )
Now to explain the purpose behind the following photos: this is my way of documenting "Barnwell-isms"! Mainly to be able to show Lanie (or any of our teammates)! I thought she might enjoy going back in time for a bit.
This is the "Huddle Up" motion...
This one I like to call, "Come on... Lanie, Be smart "
"Spread! .... SPREAD"
"Get physical"
(*you're right... Im making this up... just go with it!)
"Box Out!"
Always important.
"Pick up the ball!"
he is thinking..."free throws win ball games"
Congratulations Coach! I love that fist pump.
Science Hill ended up winning first round but then fell to Memphis Central by 5 in the second round. MC went on to win the whole thing. Science Hill, what an amazing season you girls had! You'll never forget those days on the floor. Soak them up... take it for all its worth. It makes you a better woman and leader for the future... I promise!
It was good to see you Coach Barnwell! Wish we could've got a whole bunch of the girls back together.. maybe one day. Just keep making it to MTSU and we will plan to be your cheering section!










Post a Comment