Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What is going on?

This weekend, we all got to drive down to Birmingham for Lanie's Homewood  Baby Shower! I cannot wait to post photos from the whole weekend.  We even got to step away for a bit and snap some maternity photos! So I am very excited to share those... and I dont want the following story skew your perception of how much I loved this weekend.  I wish we could all get together like that every weekend.

Now for Story Time: 

So on Sunday morning, I woke up super early (for me) at 7am.  I felt awwwwwful and just decided to give up trying to sleep and go ahead and get up to get ready for church.  While in the shower, I remembered I had woke up 2-3 times in the night feeling like I was suffocating. Little drastic? yes, but it helps describe the uncomfortableness. I had so much sinus and congestion pain... it was just miserable

Before trying to "tame the mane", I did all things I had been taught to knock out this sickness early before it really bit me in the bee-hind.  The plan: My regular asthma & allergy asthma meds, a nasal inhaler, Netipot (you gotta get one of those. Works like magic), hot tea, less-starch breakfast, lots of water...

It worked well enough to get me out the door, into church and through bible class... unfortunately, not through church service.  and UNFORTUNATELY is an understatement! My brother (in law) Bret was preaching for the 2nd time in front of the Homewood Church of Christ congregation and I wanted to so fully be into every little thing he said... you would as well,  watch his sermon here! However, stupid sinus pressure was distracting the mess out of me.

We leave to grab a quick bite for lunch before Lanie's Baby shower... and that is when I regretfully inform the crew that I need to go back to the house.  I needed to get my Asthma inhaler in my system.  Yes, you heard me, asthma inhaler (insert nerdy snort and glasses shove).

When I was in middle school, I came down with allergies, asthma, bronchitis, etc. like a tsunami.  For 2 weeks, I was a vegetable on a crazy strenuous medicine schedule.  As expected, I recovered! But that didnt mean that I was fully free of those issues.  They just live dormant in me and THEY decide when to attack. Except for exercise situations... it was my close friend during the ol' basketball days. Thankfully it isnt severe enough to live in fear of it but some times I forget I even have it!

Needless to say, I just dont carry my albuterol inhaler around like I used to... fail. So I had to make an extra trip back to grab it to hopefully get some relief.

The day went beautifully! There was such a sweet out pouring of love and kindness for Lanie & Baby Sadie... my sickliness was the least of my concerns.

Fast forward, woke up feeling worse this morning (Monday).  Remembered that my night was just like the one before... I woke up 1-2 times feeling short of breath.  GROSSNESS ALERT: dont continue if sensitive.  And on top of that, I was blowing green which meant infection. Had to make the call... needed to go to the doc, no questions.

My Allergy & Asthma Doctor, Steven Tate, is a saint.  He goes above and beyond for each patient... and fully cares for every little detail before you walk out the door.  Remember the mono days? yeah, he treated me then... and I recovered faster than others who had had it. But what I didnt remember is that mono weakens your immune system for minimum 18mo. you.have.got.to.be.kidding. Frustrating.

Anyways today, I call at 1230pm knowing that there was just no way there was an appointment.  It is smack dab in the middle of nasty allergy season.... he is going to be slammed.  The sweet lady knew I was in serious pain and booked me for a 2:00pm appt.. I was soooo saying some prayers of thanks on the way.

In order to cut out the details you dont care for.... I'll wrap it up.
I have bronchitis & an upper respiratory infection.  Because of that, I had an reactive airway disease attack and now I am on asthma alert. For the past 36hrs, I had been getting about 50% of the normal oxygen level.

yeah. Its just as exciting as it sounds...

So IN the office, I had to get a steroid shot & a breathing treatment, which I havent done in TEN YEARS! He just knew it would give me instant relief and it did! I had the jitters but I could actually get a deep breath.

Then, I go home with a loaned breathing treatment machine(to use 2-3 times a day for 30min), an antibiotic, a steroid pack, 3 inhalers and the doctor's cell phone # . yikes, guess this is a pretty serious deal.

I know what you are thinking, what in the world happened to you? What caused all of this? If I knew that... I would know to avoid it, that is for-dang-sure!!!!! Because this nasty asthma lives dormant inside me, it can easily be irritated by the smallest change in seasonal air quality.  And as most are aware, Pollen is no joke in TN. It is some serious business.

Everything will be okay! Dont worry.  My mom graciously came to pick me up out of my bed at my townhome and back to her house.  There is just nothing like your mom taking care of you.  Even if I can remember medicine schedule and the need for an inhaler, there is something about not being ALONE when you are sickly... esp when its your mama.

OH and because I slept uncomfortably the two nights before, the doc suggested the use of Tylenol PM! He said the albuterol would surely increase my jittery-ness and the Tylenol PM would knock it out...

Nope.

Here I sit, (not lay!)... 2 Tylenol PMs down & a midnight 2am snack later... I am pretty sure I could run a mile... you're right, probably not that but Im sure I could walk back to the kitchen.  Mom does have the best snackies! and pretty sure I just saw a "Magic Bullet" infomercial on the TV. Just ask Lanie, that ones gets me every time... oh, there is a "Baby Bullet" I do believe Sadie needs it.

I apologize in advance for having to call out of things scheduled for the next couple days. Let me promise you, I am not enjoyable company in this current state anyways... No not a bit.

In conclusion, I feel sickly and I got a mean case of insomnia... but I tell you what in a day or so, I'll be back to normal or maybe even more hyped up!

I pray you arent awake to read this at the same hour its posted: 3:40am.  Poor thing, my sympathy goes out to you! I sure hope you aint fighting the same crud.

I will try to sleep one more time.  please oh please happen this time... Night night or Good Morning to ya!

Post a Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...